Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10596 times
Kattu pongal is a south indian rice and lentil based recipe. The rice is cooked with green gram along with coconut and tamarind water and then tempered with mustard seeds,chillies and curry leaves. A breakfast item, pongal can also be served as a meal with your favorite podi or chutney.
- Clean and wash the rice and dal together and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, add the cloves and peppercorns and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add the green chillies and ginger and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds, curry leaves and cashewnuts and saute till the cashew turns light brown in colour.
- Add the rice and dal mixture and saute for a minute or two.
- Transfer the whole contents to a pressure cooker and add 3 cups of water and mix well.
- Pressure cook on high flame for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Serve hot with more melted ghee on top.
This recipe was contributed by ratnamadhuri on 27 Sep 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.