Karela Tikkis In Kadhai Chole ( Healthy Diabetic Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 20 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19478 times
Though unpleasantly bitter, karela tops the list of diabetes-friendly foods. It contains 'gurmarin', a polypeptide that works like insulin in our body and helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Combine karela with carrots and paneer to make these surprisingly delicious tikkis. You will benefit from drinking the water squeezed from the karela. To reduce its bitter taste, mix with a glass of water or tomato juice. Though slightly high in calories and fat, it contains other beneficial nutrients in abundance, making this a well-balanced meal in itself.
- Apply a little salt to the bitter gourd and keep aside for a while. Squeeze and drain out the water.
- Combine the bitter gourd, carrots, paneer, green peas, bread crumbs, dry mango powder, green chillies, coriander and salt together in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape into round, flat tikkis.
- Heat a non-stick pan, cook each tikki using ¼ tsp oil till both sides are golden brown. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the kabuli chana overnight in enough water.
- Drain, 2 cups of water, salt and tea bag and pressure-cook them till they are soft. Drain, discard the tea bag and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn golden brown, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the chole masala, chilli powder, dry mango powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder and salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add the kabuli chana and ½ cup of water, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the onion mixture into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place 2 tikkis in a serving plate and top with a portion of chole.
- Top with a portion of the onion mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more servings.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
|Energy|| 295 calories|
|Protein|| 14.4 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 45.2 gm|
|Fat|| 6.2 gm|
|Vitamin C|| 30.3 mg|
|Iron|| 3.2 mg|
|Folic acid|| 85.8 mcg|
|Zinc|| 1.5 mg|
|Fibre|| 3.6 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.