Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15222 times
Note: this method for soaking and salting of bitter gourd for any recipe, removes most of the bitter taste of the gourd.
shelf life: 1 week refrigerated
- Slice bitter gourd into thin discs.
- Soak in sour buttermilk for 4-5 hours.
- Drain, wash, sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Keep aside for 1 hour. rub slices well with hand, wash and drain.
- Boil in water till soft to touch, drain, wash again, drain, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, add seeds, asafoetida, allow to splutter.
- Add curry leaves, ginger, tomato, chillies, tamarinds pieces. stir.
- Mix all dry masalas in 1/2 cup water to form a paste, add to pan.
- Cook till oil separates, add karele slices. stir, add molasses.
- Stir and simmer for 3-4 minutes. garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot or cold with chappatis.
This recipe was contributed by sumagandlur on 27 Dec 2003
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.