Kanda Aloo Sambhariyu
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 27 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17255 times
The Kanda Aloo Sambhariya is a Gujarati delicacy, which is very different from the usual, run-of-the-mill subzis. A special procedure gives this dish a very unique taste and mouth-feel, although it is made only with potatoes, onions and common spices!
Here, the potatoes and onions are stuffed with a masala that comprises besan, coconut, sesame and other common ingredients, and then pressure cooked.
The stuffed and cooked veggies are further perked up with a traditional tempering and everyday spice powders, to get a super tasty dish.
You can enjoy this with Kadhi and Roti .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix very well. Keep aside.
- Slit the potatoes into 2 equal portions and the onions into 4 equal portions using a sharp knife.
- Stuff each potato and onion with a little of the prepared filling. Keep the remaining filling aside.
- Combine the stuffed potatoes, stuffed onions, salt and approx. 5 tbsp of water in the pressure cooker, mix gently and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the chilli powder, remaining filling, sugar, lemon juice, cooked potato and onion mixture, a little salt and ¼ cup of water, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.