Kanch Moong Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2914 times
A no-fuss recipe from the Bengali repertoire, Kanch Moong Dal is a delightful, mildly spiced dish that you can make anyday.
This traditional recipe is made with just a teaspoon of oil, and derives its flavour from a tempering of red chillies and seeds.
It is apt for weight watchers and those trying to reduce cholesterol too. This Dal tends to thicken after a while, so if you are having it later, add a little water to it.
Enjoy it hot with rice or rotis .
- Combine the yellow moong dal, turmeric powder, salt and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the dry red chillies, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and bayleaf and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions, garlic paste and ginger paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked dal, coriander, little salt and 1½ cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.