Kale Vatanechi Amti
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8276 times
Kale vatanechi amti is a maharashtrian lentil recipe with kale vataane or sprouted black peas. The spicy and coconut based amti is typically enjoyed with steamed rice and is quite healthy owing to the rich protein content in the vataanas.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the sliced onions and saute till they turn pink.
- Add the dessicated coconut and sauté till the coconut turns pink.
- Add the garlic and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Remove from the flame, cool and blend in a mixer till smooth. Transfer in a bowl and keep aside.
- Blend 3/4 th of the fresh coconut in a mixer and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the asafoetida and chopped onions and sauté on a high flame till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and sprouted peas and mix well.
- Add enough hot water to cover the ingredients, add the salt and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame till the chana are cooked.
- Add the kokum, coconut-onion paste, fresh coconut paste, mix well and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the jaggery, garam masala and mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander and serve hot garnished with freshly scraped coconut.
This recipe was contributed by abdaftary on 26 Sep 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.