Kalakand , Milk Cake
by Pooja Nadkarni
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 2423 times
Kalakand is a Indian soft milk cake which is prepared by condensing the milk to thick consistency . Though it is a long process, it is totally worth preparing for any occasion.
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan and bring to a boil on high heat. It will take about 7-8 minutes to come to complete boil. Stir in between scraping the bottom of the pan. Use a wide spatula large area is covered while stirring.
- Once the milk comes to complete boil, reduce heat so that the milk settles down, otherwise it will overflow. Keep a constant eye on the milk. Try to increase or decrease the heat as required so that it thickens bit faster and also doesn't spill out while boiling.
- Once the milk is nicely thickened and reduced to 1/3rd of the portion,reduce heat .
- Add lemon juice. Mix well and let it simmer on low heat for about 30 seconds without stirring.
- After about 30 seconds, stir it. Remember to scrape the bottom and the sides of the pan too. Now you will see grainy texture getting formed. Increase the heat and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Once you add sugar you need to be careful because the milk splutters, so adjust the heat as and when necessary . Stir in between.
- When the mixture is completely dry and comes to binding consistency, add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Remove the mixture on a greased cake tray. Flatten it with your fingers or spoon and let it settle for at least 2 hours before cutting.
- After 2 hours, just loosen the sides using a knife and flip it over a plate or pan. I used my rectangular cake pan.
- Cut it into desired shape and serve.
This recipe was contributed by Pooja Nadkarni on 31 Oct 2016Hi,
My name is Pooja and I am housewife. I love to cook and try out different recipes. Also I love ...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.