Kai Kutan, Raw Banana Coconut Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 44 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10712 times
A traditional preparation from Kerala where "kai" means plantain and 'kutan' means curry. Coconut, cumin seeds and ginger combined with curds to make this delicious plantain curry. Enjoy this traditional preparation with steamed rice .
- Combine the coconut, ginger paste, green chilli paste and ½ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the raw bananas, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup water in a deep non-stick pan, mix gently and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared coconut paste and salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the dry red chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the banana mixture, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Cool slightly, then add the curds and ¼ cup of water and mix gently.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||83.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||21.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||17.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.