Kai Kadubu and Udad Dal Kadubu
by Radha Hoizal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 13864 times
This is a traditional baked dish usually prepared on the ocassion of 'NAG PANCHMI' festival
in Karnataka.There are two varieties one is with the filling of coconut(kai means coconut in kannada) and jaggery mixture while the other is of idli batter with a dash of some typical south indian flavour.
These 2 filling are stuffed in rice khichu which takes the shape of ghugra.
This stuffed rice khichu is called 'kadubu' in kannada.
Add your private note
Kai Kadubu and Udad Dal Kadubu recipe - How to make Kai Kadubu and Udad Dal Kadubu
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 serving
- Fry the coconut and jaggery on a medium flame till jaggery melts and leaves the vessel.
- Lastly add the elaichi powder after switching off the flame and mix well and keep aside.
- Mix all the ingredients and keep aside.
- Heat water in a broad vessel and bring to a boil.
- Put 1 tsp oil and pinch salt after water boils.
- Now dissolve 1 tsp of rice flour in 2 tsp of cold water in a bowl and put this solution to the boiling water.
- Now put the remaining flour and stir continuosly with the help of a rolling pin(belan),so that it does not form lumps.
- Cook till it thickens and becomes soft and looks like a rice khichu.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Make lemon sized balls of this rice khichu
- Roll to an oval shape puri of medium thickness between 2 plastic sheets by applying oil on the plastic sheet.
- Place a spoonful of coconut jaggery filling and close and press tightly to give a semi circle shape.This is kai kadubu
- Similarly make more kai kadubus and keep on greased baking tray.
- Bake these kai kadubus for 5-7 minutes at 200 c in preheated oven and serve hot with melted ghee.
- Make lemon sized balls of the rice khichu.
- Roll to an oval shaped puri of medium thickness between 2 plastic sheets by applying oil on the plastic sheet.
- Place a spoonful of the idli batter filling and close to give a semi circle shape.
- Press tightly to seal well and place on a baking tray.
- This is udad dal kadubu.
- Similarly make more udad dal kadubus.
- Bake these udad dal kadubus in a preheated oven for 5-7 minutes at 200 c and serve with coconut chutney.
This recipe was contributed by Radha Hoizal on 18 Jun 2011Me an avid vegetarian.Born in Gujarath(Ahmedabad)to an orthodox kannada brahmin couple.Now settled i...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.