by Tarla Dalal
Added to 528 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 56223 times
Chole, a traditional Punjabi dish, is usually made using a lot of fat. But this easy to make recipe is lower in calories and is just as tasty. The oil does not contribute much flavour, it is the spices that create this dish. Instead of bhature (deep fried puris) serve it with Nutritious Garlic Naans, which are healthy, nourishing and just as tasty. It is important to soak the chick peas overnight to improve its digestibility and nutritive value by enhancing the protein, calcium and vitamin C levels.
- Pressure cook the Kabuli chana until they are soft and cooked. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and fry. When the seeds crackle, add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté till the onion is golden brown. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chole masala, chilli powder, amchur, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder and salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add the Kabuli chana and ½ cup of water and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Chole masala is a blend of spices, which is readily available at most grocery stores.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.