Jowar and Sesame Khakhra
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16065 times
Homemade khakhras are much, much more tempting that the store-bought ones. Just the aroma of these mildly spiced flour-based crispies cooking on a tava or khakra maker is enough to draw each member of your family to the kitchen. It’s all the magic of slow cooking, which enhances the flavour of the flour and the spices added to it, while also lending the perfect texture. Jowar and sesame khakhra is healthier than plain wheat khakhra, and also more aromatic. These khakhras can be had crisp and warm off the stove, or stored for later use. It’s a great option to carry along on a long train journey.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough hot water.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal portions.
- Place 1 portion of the dough in the centre of a pre-heated khakhra maker, close the lid and cook for 2 minutes or till brown from 1 side.
- Open the khakhra maker and cook on another side for more 2 minutes or till brown from other side as well.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 19 more khakhras.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
- If you do not have a khakhra maker , roll out each portion into very thin rounds with help of a little flour and cook each khakhra lightly for a few seconds on both sides on a tava (griddle).
- Apply a little oil and cook again on a slow flame until crisp using little pressure with help of a cloth. Remove from the flame and allow to cool. Store in an air-tight jar.
Nutrient values per khakhra
|Vitamin A||23.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.