Jowar Khichu ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 24 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25202 times
Jowar khichu, a traditional jowar flour snack flavoured with spices and garlic. If you wish to make this recipe ahead of time, remember to sprinkle a little water before reheating it in the microwave.
Sesame seeds add crunch, while garlic and curds enhance the khichu’s flavour. Baking soda makes it softer, but ensure you add the suggested amount or it can turn into a disaster.
If you like khichu , check out these variations - Rice Khichu , Poha Khichu , Nachni Khichu and Whole Rice Khichu to satiate you in a tasteful way.
- Put 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the ginger-green chilli paste, garlic, sesame seeds, curds, baking soda and salt, mix well and boil on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the jowar flour and mix well, while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon so that no lumps remain.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, stirring once in between.
- Divide the khichu into 4 equal portions and put o1 portion (while hot) into a greased cup or any other mould and press it well using your fingers.
- Demould the khichu on a serving plate. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.