Jowar Khichu ( Know Your Flours )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 20 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15455 times
Jowar khichu , a traditional Gujarati snack made using jowar flour, carefully chosen spices and garlic. The sesame seeds add crunch while the garlic and curds enhance the khichu’s flavour. Serve this yummy farsan with sesame oil.
- Combine 1½ cups of water, ginger-green chilli paste, garlic, sesame seeds, curds, baking soda and salt in a deep non-stick pan and mix well and boil on a high flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the jowar flour while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon so that no lumps remain,
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously.
- While hot, divide the khichu into 4 equal portions and place in greased cups or a mould. Press well using fingers.
- Demould the khichu on a serving plate serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- The khichu must be served hot, else it will become lumpy. However, if you wish to make this recipe ahead of time, simply steam in a steamer or double boiler.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.