Jalfrazie Layered Brown Rice (zero Oil, Low Calorie and Diabetic)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 76 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31420 times
Jalfrazie is a combination of veggies flavoured with a sweet and sour gravy. The usp of this recipe however is the brown rice. Since it is not milled, its outer covering or bran that is rich in fibre is kept intact, making it a healthy and diabetic-friendly ingredient. It is good for weight-watchers too. Brown rice requires more water and takes more time to cook as compared to normal rice and so you need a little patience while preparing this recipe. Yet, believe me; every minute spent is worth the effort!
- Heat a deep non-stick pan on medium flame and when hot, add the spring onion whites and dry roast on a slow till the onions turn slightly brown.
- Add the capsicum and dry roast on a slow flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till the tomatoes soften.
- Add the tomato purée, tomato ketchup, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and garam masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the cornflour mixture, mix well and again cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the salt, sugar and vinegar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the mixed vegetables, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Divide the brown rice into 2 equal portions and spread one portion of the brown rice evenly in an oven-proof bowl.
- Pour the jalfrazie over it and spread it evenly.
- Finally spread the remaining brown rice evenly over the jalfrazie.
- Sprinkle milk over it evenly and cover with a oven-proof lid.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 10 to 15 minutes or microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with spring onions greens.
- To make 3 cups of cooked brown rice, boil enough water in a deep pan, add the salt, 1 tsp of oil and 1 cup of soaked and drained brown rice and cook till the rice is 85% cooked. Drain completely and use as required.
Jalfrazie Layered Brown Rice (zero Oil, Low Calorie and Diabetic) Video by Tarla Dalal's Team
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.