Jalebi By kvsantha
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3995 times
The quintessential sweet dish Jalebis can now be recreated at home with this delicious and crispy jalebis recipe. The gram flour based mixture is poured into the hot oil and then dipped in sugar syrup. Relish the jalebis hot or with rabdi.
- Sieve the plain flour and gram flour together.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix the flour mixture, yeast solution, ghee, sugar and lemon yellow food colouring with 2/3 cup of water to make a thick batter, making sure that no lumps remain.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes till the yeast ferments.
- Dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes till the syrup is of 1 string consistency.
- Add the saffron and lemon juice and mix.
- Remove from the fire and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad saucepan (the ghee should be approximately 25 mm. (1") deep).
- Fill the jalebi batter into a piping bag with a single hole nozzle or a thick cloth with a small hole in the centre which is finished with button-hole stitch.
- Press out round whirls of the batter into the hot ghee working closely from outside to the centre of the whirl [approximately 50 mm. (2") diameter].
- Deep fry the jalebis till golden brown and transfer into the warm sugar syrup.
- Drain immediately and serve hot.
- Handy tip(s) :
- 1. do not allow the jalebi batter to overferment.
- 2. fry the jalebis immediately once the batter has rested for 10 minutes.
This recipe was contributed by kvsantha on 21 Feb 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.