Added to 17 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5326 times
Iyengar pulianchadam is a variation of tamarind rice preparation, reminiscent of an authentic south indian taste and flavor. The rice is cooked with tamarind water, spices, dals, methi seeds. Sprinkle the roasted peanuts and cashew on the iyengar puliachadam and serve with onion raita.
- Heat the oil for the tempering in a kadai and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and red chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, add the tamarind water, asafoetida ,salt, curry leaves and turmeric powder, mix well and bring the mixture to boil. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile dry roast the coriander seeds, chana dhal, urad dal and methi seeds. Keep aside.
- Pressure cook the rice with minimum water and allow it to cool.
- Add the tamarind paste to the rice and mix well.
- Sprinkle the roasted peanuts and cashew nuts and mix well.
- Serve hot with onion raita.
This recipe was contributed by meenashi on 22 Sep 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.