Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1631 times
Do not allow the jalebi batter to overferment.
fry the jalebis immediately once the batter has rested for 10 minutes.
Add your private note
Instant jalebis recipe - How to make Instant jalebis
Cooking Time: Total Time:
For the jalebi batter
1 cup plain flour (maida)
1 teaspoon Bengal gram flour (besan)
1/2 teaspoon fresh yeast, crumbled
1 tablespoon melted ghee
1 teaspoon sugar
2 to 3 drops of lemon yellow food colouring
For the sugar syrup
2 cups sugar
a few saffron strands
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
ghee for deep frying
- For the jalebi batter
- Sieve the plain flour and gram flour together.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix the flour mixture, yeast solution, ghee, sugar and lemon yellow food colouring with 2/3 cup of water to make a thick batter, making sure that no lumps remain.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes till the yeast ferments.
- For the sugar syrup
- Dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes till the syrup is of 1 string consistency.
- Add the saffron and lemon juice and mix.
- Remove from the fire and keep aside.
- How to proceed
- Heat the ghee in a broad saucepan [the ghee should be approximately 25 mm. (1") deep].
- Fill the jalebi batter into a piping bag with a single hole nozzle or a thick cloth with a small hole in the centre which is finished with button-hole stitch.
- Press out round whirls of the batter into the hot ghee working closely from centre to the outside of the whirl [approximately 50 mm. (2") diameter].
- Deep fry the jalebis till golden brown and transfer into the warm sugar syrup.
- Drain immediately and serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by insia on 05 Oct 2006
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.