Instant Lemon Pickle ( Zero Oil)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 46 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 67736 times
This is a quick and easy sweet lemon pickle that is ready within minutes as compared to the traditional recipe which takes 20 days to prepare. Whole lemons are pressure cooked with water till the lemon skins are soft. Try and cut the lemons in the mixing bowl in which the pickle is to be combined with sugar, so that the juices of the cooked lemons are not lost (this liquid helps to dissolve the sugar).
I have used castor sugar or fine crystals of sugar so that it gets dissolved quickly to make syrup for this pickle. When this pickle is just prepared, the lemon skins will have a slight bitter aftertaste which disappears once the pickle has mellowed for a day. This pickle will last for upto 3 months, when stored refrigerated.
- Combine the lemons with 4 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 5 whistles till the lemon skins are soft and give way under the pressure of your thumb.
- Drain and keep aside to cool.
- Place the lemons in a large mixing bowl. Cut them into quarters inside the bowl, to retain all the juices. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the salt and turmeric powder to the lemons and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Gradually, add the castor sugar (2 to 3 tablespoons at a time) while stirring continuously so that all the sugar gets dissolved. The entire process will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder and mix well.
- Store in a sterilised glass bottle and leave aside for one day. Next day, the pickle is ready to eat.
- Store refrigerated for upto 3 months.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.