Idlis In The Us
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6551 times
Idlis are so easy in India but after coming to the us we faced a lot of problems, tried a lot of recipes but this is the only one worked all the time.
soaking time: 2- 3 hours
grinding: 20 minutes
fermenting: 7-8 hours
steaming: 7-8 minutes per round.
makes: 50-55 idlis
- Having soaked both rice and dal separately, wash well with plenty of water.
- Grind dal to a very fine paste.
- Grind rice till fine grains are left (like very fine semolina).
- Mix both rice and dal together after grinding.
- Salt, a teaspoon of yogurt and beat well.
- Add a little water if necessary.
- The batter should be fairly thick.
- Cover and keep aside for 7-8 hours, undisturbed.
- To make idlies, do not beat the batter again.
- Spoon batter onto an idli stand.
- Heat water in idli cooker, and place stand in.
- Steam for 5-7 minutes.
- Insert a clean matchstick (back end) or a skewer.
- The skewer should come out clean if the idlis are done.
This recipe was contributed by suepats on 30 Jun 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.