Idada ( Non-fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 97 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70874 times
Idada, here is a non-fermented version of dhokla, for people with acidity and for jains. This can be made even faster than the khatta dhoklas. Also, these dhoklas are thinner and can be had for breakfast or as a snack along with green chutney or with raw oil. Urad dal increases its health quotient. If you want a quicker way out, you can use the dhokla flour that is readily available in the market, but this freshly ground rice and dal mixture makes amazing dhoklas… hence make it this way when you have leisure time. Pepper powder adds its unique flavour, so ensure that you use freshly-ground pepper.
- Drain the rice and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste adding water as required (approximately ¼ cup). Keep aside.
- Drain the urad dal and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste adding water as required (approximately 2 tbsp). Keep aside.
- Combine the rice and urad dal paste together in a bowl, add the ginger-green chilli paste, oil and salt and mix well. Cover and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Just before steaming sprinkle the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour a ladleful of batter immediately into a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread it to make an even layer.
- Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper powder evenly over it and steam for 7 to 8 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal portions.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 3 more thalis. Serve immediately.
- Khatta dhokla: to the above rice and urad dal batter simply add ¼ cup of beaten curds, 6 to 8 whole peppercorns and ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds (in step no. 3), mix well and let it ferment for atleast 6 to 8 hours and follow the procedure as above.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||14 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||19.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.