Hyderabadi Baghara Baingan
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 483 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 197675 times
A flavour-packed treat for your palate, the Hyderabadi Baghara Baingan is loaded with the dynamic flavours of several seeds and spices.
Slit brinjals are cooked with an aromatic and spicy tempering of seeds, curry leaves and green chillies, and a rich paste that contains a large gamut of flavourful ingredients ranging from onions and ginger to spice powders ad peanuts.
Indeed, every mouthful of this dish is brimming with flavour, and it is bound to turn even plain rice or rotis into a memorable meal!
Try other baingan based dishes like Baingan Methi ki Subzi and Baingan Musasalam .
- Combine the sesame seeds, coconut, peanuts, ginger, garlic and onions in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast them over a slow flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, chilli powder and tamarind pulp and blend to a smooth paste using ½ cup water. Keep aside.
- Slit the brinjals, lengthwise, into four, but leave the stems on, so the eggplants remain joined at the stem. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the brinjals, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté over medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Remove the brinjals and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the coconut and sesame paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked brinjals, ½ cup of water and salt, mix gently and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.