How To Cover Cakes ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 23 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11964 times
Covering cakes is the first step of decorating or frosting the cake. In order to obtain the perfect finishing, it is necessary to ensure that the following method is followed.
Add your private note
How To Cover Cakes ( Cakes and Pastries) recipe - How to make How To Cover Cakes ( Cakes and Pastries)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time: Total Time:
Makes 1 cake
cake board sugar syrup
- Place a cake board on a turntable and place the sponge over it. Trim the hard sides and the dome (if any) on the upper surface and cut into layers as required. Keep only the lowermost layer on the cake board. Keep the other layers aside, gently.
- Sprinkle sugar syrup using a ketchup dispenser or any bottle with a small hole in the cap, over the bottom layer.
- The cream or chocolate cream used should be of the soft peak stage.
- Using the palette knife, place a large dollop of icing onto the top of the cake layer. Spread the icing evenly over the top. Using the spatula, holding it at an angle of 45 degrees to the surface, draw it across the cake in one continuous movement, making sure not to press down too hard.
- Place the second layer and repeat the above steps. If there are three layers repeat twice.
- Using the palette knife, remove any icing from the sides of the cake but don't return it to the bowl if it has become crusty.
- Using the palette knife, spread the icing onto the sides. Using the spatula, scrap off the excess, smoothing out the surface and also the icing over the top edge of the cake. If a square shaped cake is used then each side has to be coated individually so as to retain the edges.
- Your basic cake is now ready.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.