Hot Karela Achar
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24841 times
A tangy and sour pickle made from bitter gourd stored in a mixture of different spices and condiments. Serve with rice.
- Wash karelas and wipe well with a cotton cloth.
- Split into two equal half lengthwise.
- Clean the inside and cut into very thin slices.
- Cut green chilli into thin round slices. mix with karela slices.
- Add 3 tbsp salt and rub into the karela and chilly slices with hand.
- Squeeze the slices till all the water is removed.
- Spread on a clean white cotton cloth and sun dry for a whole day.
- Heat 1 cup oil, and fry curry leaves till brown and crispy. remove and keep aside.
- Splutter mustard, add methi seeds, and fry for a few seconds.
- Before the methi seeds turns brown, add the dried karela and green chilly.
- Fry till the karelas are crispy. remove from fire.
- Add fried curry leaves, salt to taste, and asafetida powder.
- Mix thouroughly till all the salt is dissolved.
- Pour into clean dry glass jars or bottles.
- Pour the remaining oil on top of the achar in all the bottles.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp salt on top of the oil layer and close the bottles tight.
- Keep for two days. mix the oil-salt layer with the achar before serving.
This recipe was contributed by sandhyasha on 27 Jul 2006
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.