Healthy Stuffed Luchi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 940 times
Luchi is an ever-popular Bengali breakfast. It is usually made with maida and deep-fried, but here we have made a healthier version with whole wheat flour dough, stuffed with green moong dal perked up with roasted and powdered spices.
The stuffed luchi is then cooked healthily on a non-stick tava with minimal ghee. With a truly awesome flavour and superb texture, this is a great breakfast that everyone will enjoy.
Loaded with iron and protein , this Healthy Stuffed Luchi can even be enjoyed by those with diabetes or heart problems.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water. Keep aside.
- Heat a small non-stick pan and dry roast the aniseeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and nigella seeds on a medium flame for 1 minute. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend in mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Blend the soaked green moong dal in mixer along with 3 tbsp of water to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the green moong dal paste, prepared powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough and filling into 6 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place one portion of the filling in the centre, bring all the sides together in the centre and seal tightly.
- Press it lightly to seal the filling, flatten the dough and roll out again into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the luchi, using ¼ tsp of ghee, and cook till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 5 more luchis.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per luchi
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.