Hariyali Dal ( Pregnancy Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 101 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21321 times
A tasty dal, made with masoor dal and greens. Spinach and fenugreek leaves are a good source of vitamin a, iron and calcium. All dals are rich sources of protein and energy. Masoor dal is easier to digest than arhar dal. It is therefore a better choice for you when you're pregnant, as it will provide you with protein and yet not leave you feeling uncomfortable after you have eaten. This dal is a slightly dry preparation and if you want to have it with rice, you may need to add a little more water to "thin" it down.
- Combine the dal along with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Keep aside. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai, add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the onions turn light brown in colour.
- Add the tomatoes and prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the cooked masoor dal and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the greens and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the dried mango powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Hariyali Dal (Multinutrient Pregnancy Recipe) Video by Tarla Dalal's Team
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.