Hariyali Chola Dal Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 305 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 59033 times
Cow peas has very distinct characteristics, right from its mealy texture to its pleasantly nutty flavour. You will find these characteristics playing out very favourably in this interesting snack. These dhoklas, made of split cow peas, spinach and fenugreek leaves have a lingering flavour with the mild bitterness of methi, which is so enjoyable. The addition of curds for sourness and an aromatic tempering as the final touch are standard steps in the preparation of any Dhokla , which work their magic here too. The Hariyali Chola Dal Dhokla is a really tasty snack, with three pieces amounting to just around 100 calories. What a ‘light’ way to appease your hunger!
- Wash and soak the chola dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 4 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the chola dal, roughly chopped green chillies and ¼ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the fenugreek leaves, spinach, asafoetida, turmeric, curds, salt and ¼ cup of water and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the batter and 1 tsp of water over it. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 175 mm. (7") thali and steam in a steamer for 15 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the finely chopped green chillies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhokla and cut them into 15 diamond shape pieces.
- Serve immediately.
- Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break the lumps.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.