by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 32 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30977 times
Hara chana also known as choliya, harbhara are available in Winter only. Make sure you get the shelled fresh hara chana from the market or you will easily spend an hour to remove the shell for obtaining the fresh chana. Also, you can toss in myriad of colorful vegetables to make it more filling.
The chana used in the Harbhara Chaat recipe is not available throughout the year but when in season make sure to make this delicious chatpatta chaat recipe which is tangy and spicy.
Replace hara chana with fresh hara chana to make tongue-tickling recipes like Roadside Hare Chane Ki Chaat, Paneer Aur Hare Chane ka Salad or Malvani Chana Masala.
Enjoy how to make Harbhara Chaat recipe with detailed step by step photos.
- To make harbhara chaat, wash the fresh hara chana, add them to boiling water along with salt and soda bi- carb and cook them in enough water for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the flame, drain the water and add cold water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle add the asafetida and hara chana and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt, black salt,green chillies, chilli powder, coriander and mix well and cook on a medium flame for more 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Harbhara Chaat Video, Fresh Green Chana Chaat by Tarla Dalal
Harbhara Chaat recipe with step by step photos
- Wash the fresh hara chana.
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan.
- Add salt to taste. This will provide the necessary seasoning to the boiled choliya.
- Also, add a pinch of soda bi- carb. This helps in retaining the bright green colour and to fasten the cooking process.
- Cook them in enough water for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the flame, drain the water.
- Add cold water and keep aside. The cold water refreshes, stops the internal cooking process & prevents the harbhara from changing the colour.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida.
- Now add the hara chana and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt. Just a dash of salt is enough as we have already added it while boiling.
- Now add black salt.
- Add the chillies. You can increase the amount if you are a spicy food lover.
- Add the chilli powder.
- Add the coriander. Here are some health benefits of dhania.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for more 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame. Just before serving add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and serve immediately.
- Mixed sprouts chaat, sprouts and corn chaat, moong sprouts and potato salli chaat, sprouted moong chaat are some other filling evening sncaks.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.