Hara Bhara Kebab ( Kebabs and Tikkis Recipes)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 287 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 300076 times
One of the most loved kebabs in Indian restaurants around the world, the Hara Bhara Kebab is interestingly made with the humble spinach! Bound together by mashed chana dal, green peas and paneer, and flavoured with readily available spice powders and other ingredients like ginger and green chillies, this spinach-based kebab has the power to captivate young and old alike, thanks to its sumptuous texture and lingering flavour.
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal for 1 hour and drain.
- In a pressure cooker add the chana dal, garlic, ginger, green chilies and ½ cup of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain.
- Add the chana dal, green peas, spinach and blend in a blender till smooth using ½ tbsp water if needed.
- Transfer into a bowl and add the paneer, salt, garam masala, chaat masala and ¼ cup bread crumbs, mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape each portion into a 50 mm. (2”) flat kebabs.
- Dip each kebab into the prepared flour- water paste and roll in the remaining bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry them till they are golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- You can also cook the kebabs on a greased tava (griddle) by following the same procedure till step 6 and cook until golden brown in colour from both the sides.
Hara Bhara Kebab (Vegetarian Kebab Recipe) Video by Tarla Dalal
Hara Bhara Kebab ( Kebabs and Tikkis Recipes) recipe with step by step photos
- The chana dal should not be overcooked or else it will be mushy and also drain the chana dal well before blending.
- To blanch spinach, immerse cleaned and thoroughly washed spinach leaves in boiling water for 20 seconds and then plunge into cold water.
- To know how to blanch spinach using a microwave click here.
- If you don’t want to deep-fry the kebabs you can shallow fry them on a tava.
- In a pressure cooker take cleaned, washed and soaked chana dal.
- Add finely chopped garlic and ginger.
- Add finely chopped green chillies, half cup water and mix well.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Using a strainer, strain the dal.
- Once all the water has drained, put it in a mixer jar.
- Add boiled green peas.
- Add the blanched spinach. Before adding see that you squeeze out excess water from the blanched and drained spinach.
- Blend in a blender till smooth using ½ tbsp water if needed. If the mixture becomes watery it will be difficult to shape the kebabs.
- Transfer the blended mixture into a bowl.
- To it add grated paneer and salt to taste.
- Add the garam masala.
- Add chaat masala.
- Add the bread crumbs. This helps in binding the blend Hara Bhara Kebab ingredients together.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Take a portion of the mixture and shape it into a round and flatten it to make a kebab.
- In a small bowl take 1/2 cup plain flour.
- Add ¾ water to the plain flour. Mix the flour and water well to make a smooth paste without lumps.
- Dip the rolled and shaped kebab in the prepared flour-water paste.
- Then roll it in breadcrumbs. Always use one hand to dip the kebab in the flour-water mixture and the other hand to roll it in the breadcrumbs, this will give a smooth breadcrumbs coating on the kebab and the breadcrumbs will not become wet and soggy.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry the kebab till golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve hot with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
- These kebabs also taste great with an assortment of dips.
- Also, check out our collection of 100+ kebab and tikki recipes.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per roll
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.