Gunda Nu Shaak
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 328 times
‘Gunda’ is a small, berry-like fruit harvested from cordia shrubs. It is seasonal, and when it becomes available in the summer months, the Gujaratis really go gaga over it!
An all-time favourite ingredient, gunda makes very tasty pickles and yummy subzis too. Gunda nu Shaak is a classic Gujarati recipe that is made in every Gujarati household in the summer months when gunda is available.
It is a very aromatic dish with a nice mouth-feel too. Resplendent with the magic of spices, the Gunda nu Shaak is best enjoyed with a bowl of aamras and puri.
De-seeding the gundas can be a messy job because it’s quite sticky inside – you can workaround the stickiness easily by coating your hands and knife with salt.
Also have a go at other shaak recipes like Sambhariyu Shaak or Sev Tameta.
- Wash the gundas thoroughly and dry them.
- Destalk the gundas, crush them lightly using your palm and remove the inside seeds using a sharp knife. Since a sticky substance surrounds the seeds, it is advisable to dip the tip of the knife in the salt and then remove the gunda seeds and discard them. Keep aside.
- Roast the besan in a small non-stick pan on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, transfer the besan into a plate, cool it completely, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Keep aside.
- Fill each gunda with a little besan mixture. Keep the remaining besan mixture aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the stuffed gundas, mix well, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining besan mixture, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.