Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8252 times
A traditional Gujaratis dal recipe with a typical sweet and spicy tinge of taste is best paired with steamed rice. The dal is cooked, blended well and cooked with jaggery, tamarind and a tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing.
Add your private note
Gujrati Dal recipe - How to make Gujrati Dal
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1 hours 10 minutes
- Wash and pressure cook the dal in 4 cups of water.
- In another vessel, pressure cook the yam, peanuts and kharekh.
- When the dal is cooked, cool slightly and blend till it is smooth.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee and oil and adding the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, red chillies and asafoetida.
- Add 3 cups of water, the cocum, tomato, jaggery, lemon juice, ginger, green chilli, chilli powder and turmeric powder and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the dal, yam pieces, peanuts, kharekh and salt and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
This recipe was contributed by kvsantha on 21 Feb 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.