Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3527 times
Gujju kachoris are a Gujarati kachori recipe with a sweet and tangy filling. A fried kachori is best served as an evening snack with tea or made into a spicy chaat along with sweet tamarind syrup, curd and papdi.
Add your private note
Gujju Kachoris recipe - How to make Gujju Kachoris
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1 cup yellow moong dal washed and soaked for 1/2 hour
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1/2 tsp. dhania (coriander) powder
1/2 tsp. coriander seeds crushed coarsely
1/2 tsp. fennel (saunf) seeds crushed coarsely
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tbsp. coriander leaves finely chopped
salt to taste2 to 3 pinches of asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp. oil
oil to deep fry1 tbsp plain flour (maida) for patching
For cover:1 1/2 cups plain flour (maida)
3 tbsp. oil
salt to taste
cold water to knead dough
- For cover:
- mix flour, salt and oil, knead into soft pliable dough.
- keep aside for 30 minutes.
- for filling:
- put plenty of water to boil. add dal.
- boil dal for 5 minutes, drain.
- cool a little. heat oil in a heavy pan.
- add all seeds whole and crushed allow to splutter.
- add asafoetida, mix. add all other ingredients.
- mix well. do not smash the dal fully.
- but enough to make the mixture hold well.
- remove from fire, cool.
- divide into 15 portions.
- shape into balls with greased palms.
- keep aside.
- to proceed:
- make a paste with water, of flour for patching.
- keep aside.
- take a pingpong ball sized portion of dough.
- knead into round. roll into 4" diam. round.
- place one ball of filling at centre.
- pick up round and wrap ball into it like a pouch.
- break off excess dough carefully.
- do not allow cover to tear.
- press the ball with palm, making it flattish and round.
- repeat for 4-5 kachories.
- deep fry in hot oil, on low flame only.
- if the kachori get a hole anywhere, apply some paste.
- return to oil and finish frying.
- turn and repeat for other side.
- fry till golden and crisp. small bubbles must appear over kachori.
- drain and serve hot with green and tamarind chutneys.
- making time: 1 hour (excluding soaking and cooling times)
- makes: 10-12 pieces
- shelf life: 2-3 days
This recipe was contributed by binduvinod on 21 Oct 2000
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.