Gujarati Style Urad Dal Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15519 times
Next time you decide to make dal, reach out to the jar of urad and make this tasty Gujarati Style Urad Dal Recipe! Subtly flavoured with curds and a dash of spices, this dal has a homely but very satiating taste.
You can prepare this dish earlier on, but before serving add a little water and re-heat as it tends to thicken over time. Rich in iron, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, fibre and other essential nutrients, this easy-to-cook recipe is a good addition to your everyday cookbook.
It tastes best when served with rotla but you can also enjoy it with a bowl of hot rice laced with ghee.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Combine the cooked urad dal, curds and 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the urad dal-curd mixture, green chilli paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirirng occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve immediately with rotla.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.