Gujarati Masala Bhaat ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 244 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 102036 times
This is a warm and moderately spiced rice dish that is ideal for a cold, rainy day! masala bhaat is a very indigenous, gujarati version of the ubiquitous vegetable pulao, which gets a very luscious aroma and taste due to the cooking together of rice, veggies and ghee. Feel free to use any vegetables of your choice. However, remember not to keep stirring often, to avoid the rice grains from crumbling. Use hot water to speed-up the cooking process.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice in enough water for atleast 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in deep non-stick pan, add the cloves, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, potatoes, green peas, carrots and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala and rice, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another 5 minutes.
- Add 3½ cups of hot water and salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and simmer till the rice is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with fresh curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.