Green Papaya Salad ( Exotic Diabetic Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 77 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 77320 times
A very famous salad from the Thai culinary repertoire, this is made using raw papayas, flavoured with tamarind and soya sauce and chilli powder. This is the perfect example of ‘simple yet delicious’ delicious food! Peanuts are high in calories and fat, however it is a key ingredient that enhances the unique flavour of this salad, therefore I've added it in moderate amounts.
It is important to wash and store the grated papaya refrigerated, wrapped in a muslin cloth. A blend of sweet and tangy flavours makes this salad a must-try. Tamarind and lemon juice impart tanginess whereas the sugar substitute balances this. What’s more, this salad is a real health booster, since raw papaya is rich in calcium, vitamin A and C!
- Combine the green chillies, sugar substitute, tamarind pulp, chilli powder, soya sauce, lemon juice, coriander and salt together and pound using a mortar-pestle (khalbhatta) and to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Put the raw papaya in ice-cold water for half an hour. This will make it crisp.
- Drain, wrap in a muslin cloth and refrigerate till ready to use.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a serving bowl and toss well.
- Serve immediately.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.