Green Moong Dal Handvo
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 192 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32069 times
Handvo is a traditional Gujarati dish made with different kinds of batters. In this mouth-watering version, we use a batter of green moong dal perked up with mixed veggies. Small amounts of semolina and besan provide the perfect texture to the handvo while ingredients like green chillies, ginger and coriander along with an aromatic tempering provide its irresistible flavour. Cooked simply in a covered pan, the Green Moong Dal Handvo gets a rustic and homely flavour and texture, which you will just love to bite into. Take care when turning over the handvo in the pan, so as not to break it.
- Combine the drained green moong dal and ½ cup of water in a mixer and blend to a coarse paste using ½ cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the semolina, besan, coriander, green chilli paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, salt and ¼ cup of water and mix well.
- Just before making the handvo, add the fruit salt and 2 tsp of water evenly over it and mix gently.
- Heat 1½ tbsp of oil in a 125 mm. (5”) non-stick pan and add 1 tsp mustard seeds, ¼ tsp carom seeds, 1 kashmiri red chilli, 1 tsp sesame seeds, ¼ tsp asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour ½ the batter over it and spread it evenly.
- Cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the base turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Lift the handvo gently using 2 large flat spoons and turn it over to the other side.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame for another 7 to 8 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces.
- Repeat steps 4 to 9 to make 1 more handvo.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.