by vrunda naik
This recipe has been viewed 5224 times
Gooseberry Pickle, this delicious tangy-sour pickle made with vitamin C rich gooseberries (amla) is spiked with methi seeds and chilli powder. Sesame oil enhances the flavour of the pickle. Gooseberies are available in abundance in winter. Various other pickles you can make from gooseberries and preserve are Amla Murabba, Spicy Amla Pickle etc.
- Wash the gooseberries and pat dry them.
- In a wide pan, boil water and add in the gooseberries.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to this and boil for some time (10 mins) till the gooseberries become soft, but take care not to over cook, check with a fork to see whether it is soft or not.
- Drain the water completely and take out the seeds from the gooseberries.
- Dry roast the mustard seeds and methi seeds. When cool grind this into a powder and keep it aside.
- In a pan add sesame oil and add the 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When it splutters add the ground mustard seeds and methi seed powder.
- Add the red chilli powder ,turmeric powder and salt. Saute in a low flame for few minutes and add in the cooked gooseberries.
- Mix them nicely for and let it be in the pan for a 5 minutes in a medium low flame.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to completely cool.
- Transfer this to an airtight container.
This recipe was contributed by vrunda naik on 25 Jun 2015
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.