Gooey Coffee Cake ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 56 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22407 times
Some things taste best at the zenith of gooeyness and cakes are no exception to this rule! you are sure to enjoy this saucy coffee flavoured cake.
Add your private note
Gooey Coffee Cake ( Cakes and Pastries) recipe - How to make Gooey Coffee Cake ( Cakes and Pastries)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time: Total Time:
Makes 1 cake
- Combine the sugar syrup and instant coffee powder in a bowl to make the soaking syrup and keep aside.
- Slice the sponge cake horizontally into 3 equal parts.
- Crumble the topmost layer, add ¼ cup of chocolate truffle and a little sugar syrup.
- Make a gooey mixture and keep aside.
- Combine ¼ cup of chocolate truffle and whipped cream and whisk well. Keep this chocolate cream aside.
- Soak the bottom layer of the sponge cake with ½ of the remaining sugar syrup.
- Spread ½ cup of chocolate truffle on the soaked layer of the cake.
- Spread ½ the gooey mixture in an even layer over it and sandwich with the second layer of the sponge cake. Reserve the remaining mixture to finish the cake.
- Soak the second layer of the cake with the remaining soaking syrup.
- Spread the chocolate cream evenly on top and at the sides.
- Transfer onto a cake board and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Melt the remaining chocolate truffle and cool to room temperature, while stirring continuously.
- When cool but still saucy, pour over the cake and tap a little so it spreads evenly on top and at the sides.
- Refrigerate for another 20 minutes to set.
- Knead the gooey mixture till you get a smooth dough. Add some more chocolate crumbs if required.
- Make small pellets and press 5-6 with your thumb to make petals.
- Make a flower by attaching the petals around one another following the steps shown.
- Using a pairing knife, make a slit along one side of the remaining pellets so it gets the shape of coffee beans.
- Wipe the leaves with a dry cloth and put some melted chocolate on the back of the leaf with your fingers.
- Allow to set and then remove the leaf. Keep the chocolate leaves aside.
- To make the chocolate cigar, spread the melted chocolate in a thin layer on a clean formica / granite or marble surface using a palate knife.
- With a firm grip on a palate knife and employing a steady amount of pressure, slowly draw the knife in a straight line down the layer of chocolate.
- You can use your free hand to help form the chocolate into nice curls and keep aside.
- Place these cigars at the base of the cake.
- Place the chocolate rose and the leaves on top of the cake.
- Place the chocolate coffee beans along the side.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.