Gongura Pappu ( Know Your Green Leafy Vegetables )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 25 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21349 times
Straight from the kitchens of andhra pradesh, this delicacy is extremely liked and very frequently consumed there. 'pappu' means dal in telegu and has been combined here with gongura and moong dal.
- Combine the cumin seeds, green chillies and coconut together and blend in a mixer to a fine paste using water. Keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the dals in enough water for ½ hour.
- Drain, add the turmeric powder, 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk well till the dal is almost mashed. Keep aside.
- 6heat ½ tbsp of oil in a deep pan, add the red sorrel leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mashed dal, mix well and cook for 2 minutes stirring once in between.
- Add the ground paste and salt, mix well and simmer on a medium flame for 5 -7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Heat the remaining ½ tbsp of oil in another pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies and asafoetida and pour this tempering over the prepared dal mixture and mix well. Serve hot, garnished with steamed rice.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.