Added to 67 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29164 times
These serve as a good snack in the evening and can even be the best thing to have early in the morning when you feel little nauseous. Jaggery, apart from being a good source of iron, acts as an instant "pick me up". Although ghee is a good source of vitamin A, it should be had in moderation because it contains a lot of saturated fat which is not good for you.
- Sprinkle the poppy seeds on a 150 mm. (6") diameter greased thali. Keep aside.
- Melt the ghee in a frying pan and add the wheat flour, stirring continuously till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Remove from the flame, cool slightly and add the jaggery, cardamom powder and coconut. Stir well.
- When the jaggery melts and the mixture is still warm, pour it into the greased thali with poppy seeds and spread it evenly with the help of the base of a small bowl (katori).
- Cut into 24 pieces while still warm.
- Store in an air-tight container when cool.
- You can add 1 tablespoon of milk along with the jaggery if the mixture becomes too hard.
- VARIATION : GAUND GOLPAPDI (FOR LACTATION)
- Gaund is a very traditional ingredient that is given to lactating mothers as it is supposed to aid in the production of breast milk and also strengthe
- It also adds some crunch to an old classic recipe!
- Roast ¼ cup of gaund (edible gum) over a medium flame till it puffs up. Allow it to cool completely.
- Add 1 teaspoon of soonth (dry ginger powder) and crumble this mixture using a mortar and pestle till it is almost powdered.
- Add this mixture to the above recipe at step 3 and proceed as above.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.