Goanese Potatoes ( Potatoes)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11559 times
Cooked in authentic goan style, the masala or paste for this dish is pre-cooked and then added to the subzi, thereby giving it a distinct flavour.
- Put 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan, add the poppy seeds, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, coriander seeds and red chillies and fry for a few minutes. Keep aside.
- Put the onions straight on the gas and roast until they become black. Peel and discard the blackened layer and slice the onions. Keep aside.
- Put the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a frying pan, add the coconut and fry for 1 minute.
- Mix all these ingredients and garlic and blend to a smooth paste in a mixer by adding a little water if required. Keep aside.
- Cut the tomatoes into big pieces, add 1 cup of water and cook. When soft, prepare a purée by passing through a sieve. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the potatoes, salt and ¾ cup of water.
- Cover with a lid and cook till the potatoes are done.
- Add the prepared paste, tomato purée and salt (if required) and bring to boil.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.