Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 8983 times
A staple in Indian cooking, the Ghee or clarified butter can be prepared at home with this easy ghee recipe. The thick ghee can be stored in containers and used as desired on rotis, in vegetables or in mithais.
white butter (slightly more than the amount of ghee you want)
- Place butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring butter to boil. this takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. the butter will form a foam which will disappear.
- Ghee is done when a second foam forms on top of butter, and the butter turns golden.
- approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Brown milk solids will be in bottom of pan.
- Gently pour into heatproof container through fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- Store in airtight container being sure to keep free from moisture. ghee does not need refrigeration and will keep in airtight container for up to 1 month.
This recipe was contributed by astrila on 16 Jul 2004
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.