Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 4292 times
A favorite and popular Rajasthani dish is the gata karhi. The gram flour or besan dumplings(gatta) are steamed and then cooked in Kadhi, which is basically a thick gravy of sour yogurt & chickpea flour simmered into a perfect consistency. Relish kadhi(gatte) with steamed rice and roasted papad.
Add your private note
Gatta Karhi recipe - How to make Gatta Karhi
Preparation Time: Preparation Time : 20 mins. Cooking Time: Cooking Time : 25 mins. Total Time:
- Combine all the ingredients for the gattas. knead into a firm dough using 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a 75 mm. (3") long cylindrical roll.
- Boil plenty of water in a pan and cook the gattas in boiling water 7 to 8 minutes. drain.
- Cut the gattas into 12 mm. (½") long pieces. keep aside.
- Combine the beaten curds, gram flour, ½ cup of water and curry leaves and mix well so that no lumps remain.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida, bay leaf, clove, cinnamon and cardamom.
- When the seeds crackle, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the curd mixture, 1 cup of water and salt and bring to a boil while stirring continuously, so that the kadhi does not split. keep aside.
- Add the prepared gattas to the kadhi and bring to a boil. garnish with the chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or parathas.
This recipe was contributed by vishakha_p on 28 May 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.