Garlicky Lentil and Tomato Soup
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 129 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 58725 times
This unusual soup has been prepared from masoor dal, which is known for being rich in protein and zinc. Tomatoes give it a lovely red tinge whereas onions and garlic impart an enticing aroma. I’ve blended this soup to give it a nice creamy texture without actually adding cream! It’s a great soup, which fills you up before the meal so that you do not binge on other high-calorie foods.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the masoor dal, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer the purée into a deep non-stick pan, add 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values Per Serving
|Energy|| 82 kcal|
|Protein|| 3.7 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 12.7 gm|
|Fat|| 1.8 gm|
|Fibre|| 1.7 gm|
|Zinc|| 0.8 mg|
|Iron|| 1.2 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.