Fruit Turnovers with Cinnamon Custard Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 66 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9788 times
Ghugharas stuffed with sweet papaya mixture served with a cinnamon custard sauce.
- Sieve the flours and mix with the melted ghee.
- Add enough water to the flour to make a soft dough.
- Cover and set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, add the papaya and cornflour and cook, stirring continuously till the mixture thickens.
- Add the sugar and nutmeg powder to the papaya mixture and cook for some more time.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Mix the custard powder in 1/4 cup of cold milk to make a smooth paste.
- Put the rest of the milk to boil with the sugar and cinnamon.
- When the milk starts boiling, add the custard paste gradually stirring continuously.
- Cook for 1 minute and cool.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into 75 mm. (3") diameter circles.
- Put some papaya mixture in the centre of each circle.
- Gently fold into a semicircle and seal the edges.
- Make turns on the edges by rolling the edges carefully with your thumb and forefinger to get the ghughara or karanji shape as shown in the picture.
- Deep fry ther ghugharas till golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with custard sauce.
- You can add dry fruits to the papaya stuffing if you like.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.