by Tarla Dalal
Added to 16 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12214 times
Sherry makes all the difference to this rich gateau.
- Grease and dust a 175 mm. or 200 mm. (7" or 8") diameter ring mould tin and pour the sponge mixture into it.
- Bake in a hot oven at 450°F for 12 to 15 minutes. The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- Take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute. Loosen the sides with a knife, invert over a rack, tapping sharply to remove.
- Cool the cake.
- Chop the fruit and keep aside the syrup.
- Prick the cake all over with a thoothpick.
- Divide horizontally into two parts.
- Sprinkle a little fruit syrup over the cake parts. Repeat after 10 minutes. Be sure that the cake is moist. Add rum or sherry to the syrup, if desired, before soaking.
- Spread the jam evenly over one part of the cake.
- Beat the cream with the sugar until thick and fluffy. It there is any difficulty, beat it over ice.
- Fit a piping bag with a star nozzle and fill with the cream. Pipe a little cream over the jam and put the other cake part on top.
- Pipe the cream all around the cake.
- Decorate with the cherries and pistachio nuts.
- Fill the centre with fruit and cream. Chill thoroughly.
- Serve cold.
- VARIATION : FRUIT GATEAU (EGGLESS)
- Proceed as above using eggless sponge cake mixture instead of fatless sponge mixture.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.