Fried Coconut Rolls
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 193 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17357 times
Regular pancakes turn into an extraordinary treat when deep-fried with a stuffing of sweet, vanilla-flavoured coconut.
Make sure you cook the pancakes with butter initially, because that contributes to the rich flavour of the rolls. Also take care when applying the maida paste and rolling up the pancakes so that the coconut mixture does not spill out when frying.
The rolls have an amazing melt-in-the-mouth texture, thanks to the crisp pancake cover and the succulent coconut mixture. Serve the Fried Coconut Rolls topped with Ice-creams , for an experience that will put ordinary apple pies to shame!
- Combine the cornflour, plain flour, milk, butter, salt and approx. 5 tbsp of water in a bowl and mix well to make a smooth batter.
- Grease a 100 mm. (4") diameter non-stick pan using a little melted butter, pour 2 tbsp of the batter on it and tilt the pan around quickly so that the batter coats the pan evenly.
- Cook the pancake on each side for 30 seconds approximately, using a little butter.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 6 more pancakes. Keep aside.
- Combine the plain flour and approx. 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Place a pancake on a clean, dry surface and place 2 tbsp of the filing in one corner of the pancake.
- Roll over the pancake till ¼ th and apply the prepared maida-water paste on all the sides.
- Fold over from both the sides one by one towards the centre and again apply a little maida-water paste on both the folded sides.
- Finally roll it up completely and seal it.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 6 more rolls.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry a few coconut rolls at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and serve immediately with vanilla ice-cream.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per roll
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.