French Beans Foogath ( Jain Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33209 times
Foogath is a Goan way of cooking vegetables, with coconut and curry leaves. Perhaps due to the Konkani influence, foogath is very similar to the vegetable curries of everyday south Indian cooking. The roasted urad dal and asafoetida give the French Beans Foogath an aromatic appeal even without using onions, garlic, etc., while the soaked chana dal adds to the volume and balances the texture well. A Jain-friendly method of preparation, foogath can also be made with other veggies like cabbage or cluster beans.
- Heat oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves and asafoetida, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the french beans, chana dal, turmeric powder, salt and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut, mix well and cook on a high flame for 1 to 2 minutes on a, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||110.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||12.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||55.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.