Faraali Idli Sambhar ( Faraali Recipes)
by Tarla Dalal
फराली इडली साम्भर
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Faraali Idli Sambhar ( Faraali Recipes) in Hindi)
Added to 146 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 129899 times
The famous southie snack can be converted into a healthy and delicious faraal snack by making the idlis with sanwa millet and the sambhar with boiled vegetable purée.
Serve with peanut curd chutney for an added dash of innovativeness.
Add your private note
Faraali Idli Sambhar ( Faraali Recipes) recipe - How to make Faraali Idli Sambhar ( Faraali Recipes)
Soaking time: 8 hours Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
9 hoursMakes 16 idlis
- Clean and wash the sanwa millet and sago.
- Drain, add the curds, 2 tsp of ginger-green chilli paste, rock salt and mix well.
- Keep aside to soak for at least 6 to 8 hours.
- Grind the mixture in a blender to a smooth batter without adding any water. Keep aside.
- For the stuffing, heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the remaining 2 tsp of ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, sugar, lemon juice and rock salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes.
- Cool and divide the stuffing into 16 equal portions.
- Put 1 tbsp of the idli batter into greased idli moulds, spread a portion of the potato stuffing over it.
- Sprinkle a little peanut powder over it and top it up with another tbsp of the idli batter.
- Steam in an idli steamer for 10 minutes or till done.
- Combine the coriander seeds, 2 round red chillies, peanuts, dry coconut and cinnamon and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Boil a vesselful of water, add 1 cup of bottle gourd, 1 cup of yam and potatoes and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or till the vegetables are completely cooked.
- Drain, cool and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer it to a deep non-stick pan, add 4 cups of water, mix well and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of bottle gourd and yam, ground powder and rock salt, mix well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the remaining 2 round red chillies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling sambhar, mix well and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot idlis with sambhar and peanut curd chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.