Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1557 times
Falafel is a common dish eaten throughout the Middle East. The fritters are now found around the world as a replacement for meat and as a form of street food. Falafel plays an iconic role in Israeli cuisine and is widely considered to be the national dish of the region.The best part of this dish is that you need to make the mixture, make patties, spread on a tray or cookie sheet, allow them to freeze for few hours, assemble and pack them in Ziplock bag to enjoy best home made falafel any day or anytime! Since time is a biggest constraint for me as a working woman, I prefer this as a quick snack for my Son as it could be wrapped in Tacos along with some pickled vegetables , a home made dip and here you have a perfectly healthy Falafel Wrap.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oil and salt. Knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Turn onto a floured surface knead, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions and on a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a minimum 7 inch circle.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned.
- Combine the chickpeas, coriander, onion, garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste. Transfer the mixture to a clean large bowl.
- Add all purpose four, baking soda, sesame seeds, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients very well.
- Divide the mixture into 18 equal sized balls and flatten each of them to make a patty.
- Heat enough oil in deep bottom pan. Fry the falafel on a medium flame until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Place a tortilla on a clean dry flat surface.
- In the centre spread 1tbsp lettuce, 1 tbsp onions, 1 tbsp cucumber, 1 tbsp dip and sprinkle some pepper powder and chilli flakes over it.
- Roll it tightly to make a wrap.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 7 more wraps.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate the unfried patties in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator to be used in batches.
- You can take them out and deep-fry or bake as per your requirement.
- The deep-fried falafel can also be served with hummus or any homemade tangy dip, on a pita bread with pickled veggies or as a wrap which I call fusion cooking.
This recipe was contributed by Alkajena on 26 Sep 2016Food Blogger...Recipe Creator...Food Stylist....Food Photographer...Dedicated mother...Working profe...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.