Enchiladas ( Healthy Diabetic Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
3/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 107 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 40500 times
This extremely popular mexican delicacy leaves a lot of room for your imagination – you can feel free to experiment with any stuffing of your choice. Plus, it is also a quick-fix since the tortillas can be made in advance and stored in a deep freezer, to use whenever required.
This healthy dish is a meal by itself as it has whole wheat flour, vegetables, tofu, etc. I have used low fat cream and mozzarella cheese so that this recipe can feature on a diabetic menu. For the tomato sauce, i have used a sugar substitute instead of sugar, to retain the taste.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn translucent.
- Add the green chillies, tomatoes, chilli powder, oregano, sugar substitute and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, divide it into two equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spinach and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tofu and salt, mix well and cook for another minute.
- Divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a tortilla on a flat dry surface, place one portion of the stuffing in the centre and bring both the edges over the stuffing to make a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and stuffing to make 7 more stuffed tortillas. Keep aside.
- In a glass baking dish, spread half of the mexican tomato sauce evenly at the bottom, place stuffed tortillas arranging side by side.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the tortillas and moisten the tops of the tortillas evenly with the sauce.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the enchiladas and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with cream and spring onion greens.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.